New Basin Galati Port
Geographical position: It is situated on the left side of the Danube, at sea mile 79, next to the border with Moldova and Ukraina, and very near to the Galati Free Zone.
The total surface of New Basin Port is of 334,464.470 sqm, out of which 73,967.00 sqm are situated in the Free Zone of Galati.
The access to the port can be done bye roads, by railways (with standard and wide gauage) and waterway.
The roads network allows the transit of both regular and special (overall exceeded dimensions/weight) goods, and is connected with the Romanian roads network, thus being in connection with all the European countries.
The railways have a total length of 6,474 m, disposed as follows:
- 1,717 m of rails for reception/dispatch;
- 4,257 m fronts for loading/discharging;
- 500 m of wide gauge rails for loading/discharging of the C.I.S. wagons.
The wagons shunting within the harbour area is done using its own railway engine.
- The access can be done by barges, river vessels and maritime vessels of max.15,000 dwt (their dwt capacity and draft depend on the max. allowed draft at the Sulina channel entrance).
- On the Danube shore, there are 8 (eight) berths of 110 m length each, out of which 3 (three) berths are situated in the Free Zone, and benefit from its related facilities.
- 2 (two) berths of 105 m length each are situated in the harbour's basin
The technical endowment of the harbour
- floating cranes: 2 x 32 tons, 1 x 16 tons and 1 x 10 tons;
- quay cranes: 10 x 10 tons, 1 x 6.3 tons, 2 x 32 tons (cranes bridge - transcontainers);
- mobile cranes: 3 x 50 tons and 1 x 30 tons;
- lift trucks: 4 x 22-25 tons, 4 x 10-14 tons, 6 x 5-7 tons, 9 x 1.6-3.2 tons;
- wheel loaders: 2 x 3.5 cbm;
- 1 (one) river pusher of 600 HP;
- 1 selfpropelled river vessel with transport capacity of abt. 1500 mts;
- 5 (five) lighters and 4 (four) barges, with a total transport capacity of abt. 11,500 tons.
SC Port Bazinul Nou SA Galati
Adress: 56 Portului street, Galati, 800211 postal cod
Phone: +40 236 460621;
Fax: +40 236 413478
New Basin Port Galati provides all the usual harbour services, comprising:
loading / discharging (directly or indirectly) of a large variety of goods, such as:
- steel products;
bulk goods: coke, coal, ore, ballast and pit products, construction materials;
steel scraps in bulk and containerized;
various industrial equipments;
stowage / lashing / dunnaging / securing of the goods in any kind of transportation means
storage on concrete platforms with a total surface of 131,105 sqm, and/or in warehouses covering 46,303 sqm
river transportation for steel products, bulk and general goods, grains, ballast and pit products.
The short and medium term policy of the top management aims to modernize and to extend the harbour activities, for reaching the standard of the most important European ports, by:
Rehabilitation and bringing up-to-date of the platforms and access ways corresponding to the berths nos. 48, 49 and 50, in order to allow the traffic of a new kind of goods, i.e. containerized goods
- dead line: December 31, 2007.
Setting-up of a terminal for bulk goods in the berth no. 45, for handling of abt. 400,000 tons/year
- dead line: December 31, 2008.
Purchasing of a heavy duty crane (abt. 150 tons) specialized for containers handling
- dead line: December 31, 2008.